All patients have the following responsibilities:
- To provide, to the best of their knowledge, accurate and complete information about present symptoms and conditions, past illnesses, previous hospitalizations, medications and anything else important about their health.
- To ask questions when they do not understand what they have been told about their care or what they are expected to do.
- To follow the treatment plan developed by their physician(s); to tell the physician or hospital staff if they think they may not be able to follow that plan.
- To be responsible for the outcomes if they refuse treatment or fail to follow the physician or hospital staff instructions.
- To follow the hospital's rules and regulations.
- To be considerate of other patients and hospital personnel.
- To keep noise to a minimum and not cause distractions.
- To respect the property of other people and that of the hospital.
- To report pain to those caring for them, discuss ways to relieve their pain, and help determine acceptable pain relief options.
- To keep Wheeling a smoke-free hospital. Smoking is prohibited indoors and outdoors at all facilities owned by Wheeling Hospital.
Wheeling Hospital Volunteers
Nearly 400 volunteers donate their time to help in many areas of Wheeling Hospital. For a number of years, the hours of service given by the volunteers at the hospital have exceeded those found at any other hospital in West Virginia.