Wheeling Hospital has served the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, Eastern Ohio and parts of Pennsylvania longer than any other hospital in West Virginia. It was founded in 1850 by Bishop Richard V. Whelan and Dr. Simon Hullihen and is owned by the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston.
The hospital has 247 beds, and the medical staff totals 275 primary care and specialty physicians.
In addition to the hospital, the complex includes the Bishop Joseph H. Hodges Continuous Care Center, the Wheeling Renal Care and the Howard Long Wellness Center. Connected to the hospital are four medical office buildings where 80 physicians have their private offices. In addition, the hospital in 2012 opened Tower 5, a seven-story, state-of-the-art facility that features a new 23,000-square-foot Emergency/Trauma Center, a Center for Pediatrics, private patient rooms, as well as cardiovascular, surgical and medical intensive care units.
The Wheeling Clinic, a division of Wheeling Hospital, houses more physician offices and the Visiting Nurse Services of Wheeling Hospital. Belmont Community Hospital, Belmont Health Center, St, Clairsville Health Center, Colerain Health Center and Powhatan Health Center, all in Ohio, and Wellsburg Clinic in Brooke County, WV, are also affiliates of Wheeling Hospital.
Wheeling Hospital's Medical Education Department includes residencies in family medicine and osteopathic medicine.
A full range of medical care is available at Wheeling Hospital, including cardiac catheterization, laser surgery, kidney dialysis, cancer treatment, sports medicine, corporate health and wellness programs.
Founded in 1850, Wheeling Hospital, an acute-care facility, has served the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, Eastern Ohio and parts of Pennsylvania longer than any other hospital in West Virginia.