Wheeling Hospital has served the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, Eastern Ohio and parts of Pennsylvania longer than any other hospital in the state. It was founded in 1850 by Bishop Richard V. Whelan
and Dr. Simon Hullihen and is owned by the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston.
The hospital has 247 beds, and the medical staff totals 230 primary care and specialty physicians.
In addition to the hospital, the complex includes the Bishop Joseph H. Hodges Continuous Care Center, the Wheeling Renal Care and the Howard Long Wellness Center. Connected to the hospital are
four medical office buildings where 80 physicians have their private offices.
The Wheeling Clinic, a division of Wheeling Clinic, houses more physician offices, the Visiting Nurses Association and the Medical Park Foundation. Belmont Community Hospital, Belmont Health
Center, St, Clairsville Health Center and Powhatan Health Center, all in Ohio, and Wellsburg Clinic in Brooke County, WV, are also affiliates of Wheeling Hospital.
Wheeling Hospital's Medical Education Department includes residencies in family medicine and osteopathic medicine.
A full range of medical care is available at Wheeling Hospital, including cardiac catheterization, laser surgery, kidney dialysis, cancer treatment, sports medicine, corporate health and wellness programs.